I have been tagged THREE ways! By Laura, by RuthieJ, and by Nina. Someone in the circle of bloggers and readers noted that we have almost all been tagged on the 8 Random Facts meme.
So, I will happily share 8 random facts, and leave off tagging 8 people (sort of).*
Eight random facts
1. I got to sing in the Rolling Requiem to commemorate the first anniversary of the attacks on the WTC and DC on September 11, 2001. I enjoy singing (as an alto) and have been in various choirs.
3. I learned how to wolf-whistle in high school Latin class using my index and middle finger of both hands. I usually whistle this way once a semester to get the students’ attention—always shocks them.
4. I worked for eight years in state government in Pennsylvania, as a political appointee under Gov. Robert Casey; I was deputy secretary for planning & quality assurance in the PA Department of Health. In this job, I was in charge of all the quality inspections for all hospitals, nursing homes, surgical centers, and ambulances in Pennsylvania.
5. I have crossed the equator three times on board ship--but the first time I crossed it was when my parents first went to Africa—we flew in 1946—the journey took several days. That makes at least four crossings of the equator.
6. I love to write—in fact, I wrote and had published a biography of my grandparents. And I have just submitted an article to a journal for publication that came about through a contact from someone who read my blog!
7. My father’s family came to Canada from Europe in the 1700s (we think), then emigrated to the US, then back to Canada after the US Revolutionary War. Then my grandfather came to the US to marry my grandmother. Now my brother has gone back to Canada and lives and works there—so I like to think my birth family is bi-national.
8. My career path has been book-ended by teaching college English. I got the first job I ever had because I wrote a thank you letter to a favorite professor at my undergraduate school. I taught for 8 years, then went off to various jobs for some 27 years; now I have returned to teaching college English.
Well, that seems random enough. Now, I could tag my brother and my sister to contribute their own random facts, but *ONLY if they want to be tagged. Big sisters don't do mean things unless absolutely necessary.
The Random 8 Facts Rules
Here are the rules for Eight Random Facts:
-Players start with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
-People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
-At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to tag and list their names. Leave them a comment telling them they're tagged, and to read your blog. (Participation is optional, and it's OK if you defer.)