The photo above is of our son Geoffrey and our daughter-in-law Christy.
While there are many photos I could choose of him, this one seemed most fitting. Of course I have those wonderful baby photos, and the little boy photos too. I have used them before on the occasion of his birthday. But the photo of you two together is just right.
This time I want to write about a few scenes which I hold dear in my mother's heart.
- I remember a day when you were about 18 months old. I had just come home from teaching, carrying you, along with a bag of your supplies from the baby-sitter's, complete with a container of Spaghettios. I don't know how I got distracted, but for a moment I turned my back. When I came back into the room, there you sat with the Spaghettios container opened and smeared all over the place.
- I remember how you fell off a coffee table, and cut your head. We had to rush you to a hospital to get some stitches. And I remember how white your dad's face was as he helped to hold you so you would be comforted while the doctor worked on you.
- I remember the first time you walked alone up the sidewalk to a neighbor's house so you could play with your friend. I thought--wow, he's on his own.
- I remember how you reacted when we told you we were going to have another baby--you said, oh good, now I won't be an only child anymore.
- I remember how sweet you were (most of the time) with your sister. And still are.
- I remember how proud we were when you won academic recognition and went off to the college of your choice.
- I remember when you came home and told us you had met someone special--and you asked if you could bring her (Christy) along on our family vacation.
- I remember that only when you headed to grad school did I cry--realizing you really WERE on your own--but this time with Christy by your side.
- I remember how happy you and Christy were on your wedding day--even though you hadn't thought to get programs ready and printed until the morning of the wedding.
- I remember several moves we helped you with.--to apartments, to houses.
- I remember--
So, special love to you this day--as you celebrate your 40th birthday.