Sunday, August 09, 2015

Pussy Cat Pussy Cat, where have you been?

Why, yes, that is me riding a carousel with a special girl.



Remember that children’s rhyme?  The next line was “I’ve been to London to see the Queen.”

Well, yes—we’ve been away. 

Hence no blog for…oh, awhile.  
And, like Pussy Cat, we’ve been to
London.  We didn’t see the Queen, though  last summer we did actually see the Queen’s “house” when we toured Buckingham Palace and saw the Royal Collection—an amazing collection of paintings.

So, here’s what we saw on this trip: 


Some things are still there



Something else we saw, but...didn’t see exactly.

As we passed Lord's Cricket Ground, on our way to St. John's Wood, where we attended church in a lovely Church of England church--I noted this poster.

Advertising the second test of the Ashes. OK—if you have to ask, you don’t know what it is.  Cricket. Enough said.

The second test was played at Lord's Cricket Ground--sort of the Holy Grail of cricket. But, already I've exhausted my knowledge of this sport.  

(The fourth test of the Ashes has now been played elsewhere, and England did rather well.)

The St. John's Wood church is one of my favorite churches in the world. Now, I have not been in that many...considering how many there must be worldwide.  But I've been a few and I love the classic interior of this church, with its fantastic acoustics.  The church has an 8 member choir--that's all. And yet they sing beautifully, full voiced and thrilling to hear.




The remaining sights were personal and familial.

Such as...
A little girl who likes to jump in muddy puddles
a little girl showing Papa the ropes!

Two little girls with crash helmets...which they need when they ride their scooters!
Nearby where we were visiting is a large recreation area--lots of excitement there, including a local fair. See the photo at the top of this blog.

Also various types of transportation.
A tractor picking up trash in the park

An air ambulance picking up a patient 



Two dear people riding a teacup! 



BUT, BEST OF ALL, WE SAW THESE PEOPLE! (and one is brand new)



12 comments:

Climenheise said...

Lovely visit. Lovely people. Fourth test or fourth match of the Ashes. Fourth set would be at Wimbledon and would not be cricket.

Thanks for taking us along on the trip!

KGMom said...

Oops. I have it correctly on the two prior references...will have to correct.

Climenheise said...

Just proves I read the whole way through!

Anvilcloud said...

I would like to see a video of you chasing a mouse right under the chair. Please make it happen.

KGMom said...

Daryl--all corrected now. Kudos for reading it through or at least far enough to catch the error.
As for Wimbledon, as it happens, that was going on while we were in London. So we got to watch some of the matches live.

KGMom said...

AC--not going to happen. I would get injured, no doubt.
Why, I even cut my leg while trying to climb on the carousel--a bit of a high step, which I didn't quite see well enough. Gashed my leg, started bleeding--even so, the ride operator said I HAD to get on the horse with my granddaughter. The man next to me looked over and said--you're bleeding. I assured him I knew it, and that it looked worse than it was, as I am on blood thinners. Somewhat humiliating, though, to not be able to get on a carousel without hurting myself!

Ginnie said...

What a lovely post, especially the last picture. Thanks.

warriormom said...

Looks like a great time visiting grands!

Anvilcloud said...

Physical things do become more of a challenge, even simple ones. I wanted to take a picture in a stream yesterday, and with a bad foot, it was challenging for sure to walk on the rocky bottom.

Paddy said...

Lovely post! Particularly enjoyed your last pic (you seem to be collecting granddaughters) and your commentary on the Lord's cricket test. You are right, it is hallowed ground even for ex-colonials :)

NCmountainwoman said...

So glad you had such a wonderful trip. And congratulations on the new little one.

Can't believe you couldn't simply stand beside your granddaughter. Hope you didn't get blood on the horse.

Mary Lee said...

Lovely photos, especially the one of the three beauties in the last photo. Looks like a perfectly lovely visit!