You know the set up. . .imagine you are stranded on a desert island. What 5 books would you want to have with you.
This game reminds me of my daughter's constant questioning as a child. She would ask--what is your favorite fruit, vegetable, meat, bread etc. Or she would say--what is your favorite movie. Or after an event or a family vacation--what part did you like best. I was never very good at answering her questions because choosing is so difficult for me.
Many people bend the desert island premise a bit and answer--the Bible or the complete works of Shakespeare. Of course, I wouldn't bend the premise. . .at least, not that way.
I would bend it a little differently. Keeping the list to just 5 is flat out impossible for me. So, I have picked my Top 5 Classics, my Top 5 "modern" novels, and my top 5 non-Fiction. Here goes.
CLASSICS (drum roll, please--)
1. Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
2. Light in August by William Faulkner
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
4. The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
5. Howard's End by E.M. Forster
MODERN FICTION (meaning after 1950)
1. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
2. A Lesson before Dying by Ernest Gaines
3. Sacred Dust by David Hill
4. Gilead by Marilyne Robinson
5. Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai
1. The Coming Plague by Laurie Gerrett
2. Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose
3. King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild
4. A Bright Shining Lie by Neil Sheehan
5. Young Men and Fire by Norman Maclean
Oh, that was painful. I actually made up a list of Honorable Mentions, because I couldn't stand to not include certain books. For example, for years I have said my favorite book is Let Us Now Praise Famous Men by James Agee and Walker Evans. But it's not on the list. PAIN PAIN.
The classics list is by far the hardest--no Dickens on the list, nor Jane Austen. How can that be? No Hemingway. No Hawthorne.
And I haven't even given a summary overview of any of the books. Well, let it be.
Now, it's your turn. Can you name your top five books, any category or mixed?