Monday, May 04, 2009

DISCOURAGED!

I just finished grading two (TWO!!)** sets of research papers. The papers are to be 10 pages long, arguing a position, using appropriate sources, etc. etc.

Well, I am done! So , why would I be discouraged?


Because in each of the sections of papers I graded, I found two instances of outright plagiarism. My policy is the student gets a zero (0) on a paper where there has been plagiarism. There is no excuse, absolutely none, for academic dishonesty.


But it makes me very sad--and discouraged--to find those instances. I know, I know--I know students are busy. I know they are balancing many different proverbial balls in their lives. But, cheat to get work done? No. I neither can nor will ever condone cheating.


'Nuff said.
------------
** to my brother--no smart remarks about "only two sets"? Remember, I am supposed to be retired!

11 comments:

Beverly said...

That's tough. Sorry to hear it, but it isn't surprising any more, is it.

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I think it *is* surprising. What also surprises me is that some of these students will actually complain about their grades and some of their parents might too. As an elementary teacher, I teach my kids everytime we write ANYTHING that we get from reference material that it must be re-written in our own words. No ifs, ands, or buts. So, yea, I'm surprised!

NCmountainwoman said...

I don't find it surprising. What does surprise me is that they think they can get away with it. It's incredible that students would not realize how easy it is for plagiarism to be discovered with programs that will search a series of words.

I agree wholeheartedly with zero tolerance for cheating. It is not fair to the students who are working so hard and so honestly.

Dog_geek said...

I don't blame you for feeling discouraged. I got an email from a friend just a few hours ago about the same thing in one of her classes, and she was feeling worried about how she was going to handle the situation.

Jayne said...

That's sad, just really sad.

littleorangeguy said...

I stopped teaching in 1999, before the age of internet research really took hold. I had my share of plagiarism cases even then, but I wonder if you've noticed an increase in the last few years?

Anvilcloud said...

It's too bad but maybe a good lesson at not too steep a price?

JeanMac said...

Don't they realize they will be found out?

Ginnie said...

If more teachers reacted as you did maybe the lesson would be learned.

Climenheise said...

I think that some students will not get the message, even after they themselves have been caught. It is sad, and discouraging. No cracks from me, sister mine! I understand the frustration too well.

dmmgmfm said...

I think it's really sad. When I was in school (so long ago we had to walk around the piles of dinosaur poo to get to school), I would never have plagarized for fear of upsetting my favorite teacher, Mrs. Stabnow. I liked and respected her way too much to do anything that she considered morally wrong. Plus, my mom would have grounded me for life.