Thursday, February 22, 2007

They Say Memory is the 2nd Thing to Go. . .

Well, I am once again a duly licensed driver. But, there was a moment of panic there. Pennsylvania ties its photo license timing to your birthday. With my birthday in February, I got a photo license renewal notice back in November. This is an every four-year ritual. My husband, being a most methodical and organized spouse, immediately sent the renewal in with the requisite payment.

When it came back, in late November, he said--now, all you need to do is go to the main Department of Transportation building and get your photo. I tend to relax when the crisis is not at hand. So, I put the paperwork aside, and thanked him, and said--I have plenty of time.

On February 19, my husband was lying in bed awake. Now, he could have/should have been able to sleep in a tad--it was, after all, Washington's birthday and his work place was closed, like many others, for the annual Presidents birthday observance. But, the dog didn't know that, and she got up early early early. In her usual, oh I am so happy to see you fashion, she awakened him. After he took her out for morning bathroom needs, he came back to bed. But not to sleep. He lay awake, thinking. And suddenly thought, I wonder if Donna got her license renewed. When I awoke, he asked. I was able to IMMEDIATELY locate the set-aside paperwork. Sheepishly, I admitted all that plenty of time had vanished. I was now an UNLICENSED driver.

Of course, the state Transportation office was closed for the holiday. So, first thing on Tuesday, I got up and headed out to get my new photo license. The Transportation office was the model of efficiency, and in 15 minutes, with no penalty, I was once again legal. I came back out to my car. . .and it refused to start. It turned over, but no catch in the engine. It was dead. I knew instantly it was the battery. After calling AAA, waiting 1 hour and 20 minutes, I had a most helpful service man arrive who confirmed the battery's demise. He replaced it right there in the parking lot.

I am now really spooked about getting my photo license. Four years ago, when I got it renewed, we traveled off to Spain in a couple days, and I met the wallet stealing gypsy woman. There went my new photo license. Now, four years later--this. A dead car battery. I dread thinking what comes 4 years from now.

And, most of all, I really mind that I forgot something so important. What really bothers me is that I was always told that memory is the second thing to go as you get older. If only I could remember what the first thing was. . . Huh??!? Beats me.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

What goes first? I'd give you my list but I can't remember either. The 'last' thing you want to go is your sense of humor and you're doing just fine - I see plenty of that. (I did wish you a Happy Birthday, didn't I? I can't remember :0)

Mary said...

Sorry, Donna, but I laughed all the way through this. At least you have your sense of humor! My husband is always checking up on my "status" too, and I call him "anal". LOL! Now I can't remember the point of my post...it was there a minute ago...

LauraHinNJ said...

I was wondering what the first thing was myself?

I'm having issues lately with remembering to pay bills. I like to do them at all once, rather than one here and there as they come in. Last month I totally forgot about the credit card bill until the day after it was due. I was horrified and furious to have to pay a late fee and some other fee to phone in the payment, plus interest. Anyway, I learned my lesson, I think!

Now that I think of it, I wonder if I paid this month's bill?

;-)

Pam said...

The first thing is...hmmm, okay, I forgot, too!
I'm with Laura, I forget my bills, or is that just procrastination?

Ginnie said...

Since I've been blogging I've been dredging up old memories...and I'm amazed at how many I'd forgotten. It's interesting, though, that usually I remember the good things. I think life is structured that way...so we can face old age with good memories. (It doesn't help to find the keys, but it makes me feel happier.)