2 pounds ground turkey meat
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
1 shallot, chopped
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 bay leaf
1 (28-ounce) can tomatillos, drained and chopped
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
2 cups chicken broth
1 15- to 16-ounce can cannellini (white kidney beans)
1 can black-eyed peas
Chopped cilantro (optional)
Grated Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
Sour cream (optional)
1. In a large heavy-bottomed pot brown turkey meat over medium high heat.
2. Drain and set aside. Add oil and reduce heat to medium.
3. Add peppers and shallots and cook until softened but not browned.
4. Add browned turkey, coriander, cumin, oregano and salt and stir well to combine.
5. Add bay leaf, tomatillos, chiles, jalapeño and broth, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 45 to 50 minutes.
6. Gently stir in beans and cook for another 30 minutes. Garnish individual bowls of chili with cilantro, cheese or sour cream, if you like.