Saturday, January 31, 2009

Saturday Soups-- # 10 Winter 2008/2009

The last soup that I featured--the hearty winter soup--was so popular that several of you indicated you tried it. And liked it! Great.

And I learned one blogger was inspired to post a bread recipe--it would go great with a soup to make a meal. Check it out here.

Well, that puts the pressure on me to post an equally appealing recipe. Don't know if this will do the trick or not. BUT, this soup is half of what I am making for Super Bowl Sunday--the other half is chili with beef.

Now before anyone mentions it, yes, I did post a turkey chili earlier in the season. That one featured black beans and shoepeg corn. Plus the seasonings were a little different. Anyway, making turkey chili again can't hurt.



White (Turkey) Chili


Serves 6 to 8



Ingredients

2 pounds ground turkey meat
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
1 shallot, chopped
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 bay leaf
1 (28-ounce) can tomatillos, drained and chopped
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
2 cups chicken broth
1 15- to 16-ounce can cannellini (white kidney beans)
1 can black-eyed peas
Chopped cilantro (optional)
Grated Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
Sour cream (optional)

1. In a large heavy-bottomed pot brown turkey meat over medium high heat.

2. Drain and set aside. Add oil and reduce heat to medium.

3. Add peppers and shallots and cook until softened but not browned.

4. Add browned turkey, coriander, cumin, oregano and salt and stir well to combine.

5. Add bay leaf, tomatillos, chiles, jalapeƱo and broth, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 45 to 50 minutes.

6. Gently stir in beans and cook for another 30 minutes. Garnish individual bowls of chili with cilantro, cheese or sour cream, if you like.
(I just finished making it, and tasted it--YUM!)

So, now that I have posted a recipe, I can move on to the subject I really want to talk about.


GO STEELERS!

GO STEELERS!

GO STEELERS!

7 comments:

NCmountainwoman said...

What time do you want us to drop by? The recipe sounds great. I can smell it cooking now.

Mary said...

Your soup sounds absolutely perfect for a cold day and a Super Bowl.

As far as the Steelers tomorrow? I won't be interested. I'd rather see the Ravens and Eagles play... (Sorry - I'm leaving now.)

Ruth said...

That is a real meal soup. And I have all the ingredients on hand (my tomatillos are frozen though) The Irish Soda bread looks impossible easy and tasty. Thanks for the soup and the bread link.

Anonymous said...

Go Steelers!

JeanMac said...

I'm checking in on the game as I make scalloped potatoes!

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

It seems the Steelers went as you commanded. I guess you will have a smile on your face all day!

KGMom said...

I appreciate those commenters who cheered for the Steelers--or at least knew I would be.
As for Mary--hmmm--a Ravens fan? Bah! To each his (or her) own.

And I can report the soup was delicious!