Saturday, May 26, 2007

Two Dog Day


Occasionally, we have our son's dog come to visit. When she does--her name is Sonnet--she and Tipper instantly bond. In fact, before she arrives, we can say to Tipper--Sonnet is coming--and Tipper perks up and actually seems to get excited.


Maybe I am anthropomorphizing. But I am convinced Tipper understands the word "Sonnet"--not as in "would you like me to read you a sonnet" but as in "Sonnet is coming to visit." (Tipper also understands "walk" and "biscuit" and "ride.")


This morning, Tipper awoke at 5:30 a.m. She does that many mornings, but since today is Saturday, I had human thoughts of sleeping a tad longer. Oh well.


I got up, dressed, and brought Tipper downstairs. Then, of course, I had to get Sonnet. I got each of the dogs leashed up, and away we went for a nice long walk.


My duty during this walk--keep moving, and wave my arms about managing just barely to keep the leashes from tangling. Each dog has her desires--go here, sniff there, etc.


Bodily processes seem to bring out the territoriality in each dog. Sonnet pees--so Tipper has to remark the territory. And so on, the whole way around the block.


I am now back at the house, exhausted from untangling dogs. And ready for a nap!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like the dogs are having more fun on this holiday weekend than you are!

Anvilcloud said...

Talk about going to the dogs. And so early too.

Anonymous said...

Which is better, a two dog day or a three dog night? Love, Grandfather "C"

Denise said...

Tipper and Sonnet are lucky to have you. We make our dogs wait for us and our schedules. Molly knows my walking shoes and if she sees me putting them on, she starts bouncing around and barking. She runs to the drawer with her leash and barks some more. Her perception amazes me. We don't have to say a thing - just put on the right shoes and off we go. Have a good weekend!

Mary said...

When you gotta go, you gotta go, I guess. But I do get irritable at 6am on a weekend!

I'm convinced my dogs understand most of what I say. I need to spell some words to avoid exciting them, like the word "w-a-l-k" or "r-i-d-e". If I say to them, "Mr. Biggins is coming!", both of them run to the window to see if he's there, then run to the back door and wait.

dmmgmfm said...

My brother's dog always gets excited when he tells her I'm coming to visit. She runs around in circles and then sits on the back of the couch watching for my car. When I arrive, she gives out a low gutteral growl and races to the door. :-)

Cathy said...

Awww. They're so sweet. You bet they understand words. Only a few years ago I was still walking our two fur-kids. I don't envy you the early rising, but I sure envy the wagging tails and big brown eyes :0)