Monday, July 07, 2008

R-A-I-N-I-N-G

No, no--you're quite right. The fact that it is raining here in central PA is NOT news-worthy. And, please understand, I don't claim that it is. It is ONLY note-worthy. You see, a bit more than a week ago, I washed ALL the windows in the house, inside and out. See how clearly you can look through the front window?


Since then, we have had rain almost every day. Not all day, mind. But showers on most days. Today's rain is actually heavier than some days. Heavy enough for this stream to emerge from my neighbor's downspout.


My flowers along our front sidewalk look bedraggled, barely able to lift their heads.


This is NOT a stream--but the walkway to our pool area.

This poor bird--one of the ubiquitous house finches that we have all around here--hangs on to the shutter under the eave of my neighbor's house.


A few more sit on the down-spout.
And yet one more bird sits on our copper feeder, with its small roof overhang.
The picnic table and plants are drenched.
And the bird bath gets a free refill.

I should have known that we would have several days of rain--after all, I washed all the house windows. The other surefire way, it seems, to attract rain is to wax the family cars. With my powers, I had best head out to California and help the folks there.

13 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

We were experiencing similar weather until just about a week ago. It's been fantastic ever since: sunny but not too hot (low to mid 80's), not too humid, and cools down nicely at night.

NCmountainwoman said...

I'm not second-guessing Mother Nature, but don't you think she should spread that stuff around? Our county has been upped again to "exceptional" drought, a new phrase coined for drought that is even worse than "extreme."

I washed my windows anyway. You just never know.

JeanMac said...

That's a given, wash windows or the car and it rains!Love the water splashing in the birdbath.

entoto said...

Tee hee! I have had the very same thing happen to me. I hope you and the birds and flowers catch a break soon.

Anonymous said...

You are more than welcome to wash my windows and I know some folks in Big Sur who'd love some rain right now. The smoke in our skies right now is horrific! Your rain is looking GOOD!

Mary C said...

You can send that precipitation out here to California, Donna! Then maybe the fires will dissipate, and help with our drought. Great photos describing what you are experiencing.

LauraHinNJ said...

lol! Feels like it's been gray and rainy here forever too.

Beverly said...

That's why I don't wash windows.

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Yes, if you could send some of your rain our way, we'd deeply appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

We are having torrential rain at the moment - and it is forcast for the rest of July! We would love some summer!

The Broken Man

http://theblogofabrokenman.blogspot.com/

RuthieJ said...

Isn't that the way it always goes? There's either too much rain, or not enough.

Mauigirl said...

Amazing how washing windows (or your car) can cause rain!

Great pictures, love the one with the splashing bird bath, and of course the bedraggled birds themselves.

Mary said...

Congratulations on your rain, Donna. We'd be happy with one day like that! Clean windows or not!