Thursday, November 26, 2009

Game Playing

It is always interesting to me how two (or more) people can recall someone they mutually know, and have different impressions. Once, when I was talking with my brother about our mother, I recalled her as particularly organized, and he recalled her as very spontaneous. Of course, she was both.

One thing on which I think my siblings and I would agree is that game playing was something our mother loved to do. And, I certainly inherited that love from her.

We are spending Thanksgiving with our son and daughter-in-law in Pittsburgh. After a lovely time out to dinner last evening, we came back to their house, and our son asked--did we want to play a board game.

That's how we were introduced to Blokus. I don't go looking for new games to buy, so I had not heard of this game. Many good games have very simply principles on which the strategy of the game is based, and Blokus is no exception.


After one round of Blokus (which I lost decisively), our son asked if I was up to another game--a two person game. And, with my affirmative response, he and I played another new game: Pyraos (sometimes also called Pylos).




A fun evening. For the record (my family keeps track of such things), I lost all the games--but I played them and enjoyed them.




Thanks, Mother.

8 comments:

Ruth said...

We grew up playing lots of board games and one of my daughters is a great collector of them. I will have to ask her if she has tried these ones.

Jayne said...

I remember playing Life when we were growing up and how much we loved it. I also have fond memories of Clue, Battleship, and others. I once learned to play cribbage in a marathon weekend at my in-laws, but haven't played since. Games can be so much fun, and it's good to engage your mind along with having really good conversation.

Anvilcloud said...

We usually have a loosely organized game of Trivial Pursuit. I am often OK with older trivia but media and arts within the past 20 years baffle me.

NCmountainwoman said...

My mother rarely played board games, but our father was with us on every move. Your post brings back many happy memories of my youth. Our own (now grown) children also love board games and are quite competitive.

Anonymous said...

We didn't play many games - scrabble and Monopoly, but that was it, so I'm game-challenged :-).

Denise said...

I still love to play games too! I am always looking for two person games, so I may have to try Pyraos. Looks interesting. If you know of any others, please pass them on too. Thanks!

Dog_geek said...

My neice and nephew are always good at getting all of us to play a few games during the holidays. After Thanksgiving dinner, we played Apples to Apples, which is always a lot of fun!

Ginnie said...

My three children are competitive and love to play all sorts of board games. My particular favorite is Upwords...which is a more difficult version of Scrabble.