Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Traveling Wisdom

My husband and I got behind a white van the other day. Perhaps you have deduced that I am a bumper sticker reader. Anyway, this van had on its bumper three somewhat puzzling stickers.

Now, I am not one to put stickers on my bumper. Oh, there are some sentiments that I could live with. Several years back, I was taken with and amused by the one that said "Visualize whirled peas." There's a current one I like: "God bless the whole world; no exceptions." There are also humorous ones I have been drawn to: "Support the right to arm bears."

But I have never found one that I would want PERMANENTLY on my bumper.

Not sure what the guy in the white van had in mind. Here are his three choices:

JUST SUFFER

(Was he Catholic? or did he have a Jewish mother? no, that would be GUILT, not suffer.)

CRUSHED STONE: FOUNDATION OF THE NATION

(Hmmm--he was perhaps a stone cutter? a quarryman? (wasn't that what the Beatles were originally called?)

And finally:

ONWARD THRU THE FOG

Oh, advice to the country! Now I get it. I think.

At any rate--onward. . .through the fog.

5 comments:

Jayne said...

I'm just as perplexed as you, though in this part of the country, we are more likely to see ones like I saw taking Sam to school the other day... "Guys with low riders just can't get it up." Uh-huh.

Ruth said...

I like them. You can add the meaning you prefer. I would like to tell tailgaters to "Suffer".

Anvilcloud said...

I must admit it; those stickers are better than the average offering. I don't do stickers either.

NCmountainwoman said...

I love reading bumper stickers, especially those of acquaintances. Gives a new perspective on their personalities. In all my years of driving I had never had a bumper sticker on my car until the 2000 election.

possumlady said...

I do like bumper stickers yet never put them on any of my cars until 2008. I found a small black and white oval sticker that just said MEOW on it and stuck it on the left side of the bumper. Then I found another small bumper sticker with my town's abbreviation TK PK on it and put that on the right bumper. I thought I was done until the summer of the 2008 elections when everyone was talking about the "woman" vote and the thought that "we" would all go to McCain because of Palin since Hilary didn't get the nomination. A friend sent me a "Women for Obama" sticker that I put smack dab in the middle of my bumper. I have no regrets of any of them.